Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sauganash seedpicking (original post 7/18/12)

The Wednesday Seedpickers hit up Sauganash Prairie Grove today--somehow, my first visit ever; the only North Branch site I've managed to avoid thus far.  It helps when a site is infested by neighborhood anti-restoration crazies--I regretfully admit that their antics and ass-hattery have been successful in keeping me away.  I'm not sure how it got the label "prairie grove"--there's a tiny prairie, and there's floodplain forest, and nothing much in between.  It's an eerily quiet little stretch of the river with red oaks towering over it on both sides.  I like it.

We were there for Carex crinita, for the most part, which we didn't find until the very end.  Mostly, we ended up harvesting a few sedges, the identities of which we were uncertain.  (What we seedpickers lack in expertise, we make up for in enthusiasm.)  We got a lot of this one, which I'm fairly sure is Carex scoparia, but since nobody had ever collected it before, nobody believed me:
Most of them called it the football sedge (Carex footballii) because, well, you can see for yourself.  I think it is too smooth and elegant to be given a nickname alluding to an inane, brutish sport.  The wet (in normal years) prairie had some other drab sedges, like tenera & normalis &what was probably lacustris; it's not yet the season for the charismatic sedges like grayi, squarrosa, and lupulina. 

Score one for the drought:  Nary a mosquito was to be seen today.  Sauganash is legendary for its bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment